In 1869, soon after the Epiphany Church parish was founded, a religious education program was established in a house owned by the church at 236 East 22nd Street. Some 300 people attended the program, which continued for three years. In 1873, the program was re-established to meet the growing parish's needs, eventually offering religious education three nights a week to 900 students.
In 1888, The Epiphany School opened at the same location and began to provide full education for the parish's school-age boys. Kindergarten was added in 1975, and Pre-Kindergarten in 1983. A Nursery Program started in 1993. From 1888-1978, the Sisters of Charity ran the school. From 1900-1935, the Christian Brothers taught the students. Since 1978, a lay principal and staff have continued the rich tradition and goals begun by these two renowned teaching orders.
While the facade of the 22nd Street Campus is the same as it was when the original building was erected in 1888, the inside was completely rebuilt in 1947.
In September 1991, the school expanded with the addition of a second building on East 28th Street between Third and Lexington Avenues, now known as the upper school or St. Stephen Campus. The campus accommodates more than 250 students. We have a Nursery school which offers half-day programs of three to five days in length for children three years of age. Also Pre-K, as well as students in Grades 4-8 are located here. The campus is equipped with recently refurbished classrooms, science labs, two computer labs, library, and modern gym.
The Epiphany School's expansion to two campuses reflects the commitment of parishioners and parents to provide an educational environment of the highest order.